[rescue] Sun / Linux LX50

Steve Pacenka sp17 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 20 17:22:39 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 17:32, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I like to rescue "surplus" gear that will last me many more years than
> its original owner thought it would last for them just as much as most
> everyone else on this list, but I really wouldn't mind either if all
> those "other people" (non-rescuers) treated this technology with even
> just a tiny bit more sanity! :-)

As a volunteer-nonprofit system rehabber myself (any others on
[rescue]?) I have mixed feelings about seeing highly usable stuff
donated to us.

I recycle/rehab to prevent the manufacture of new computers - my way of
helping the physical environment.  All of the best things we receive
represent failures to prevent.

But each working thing that comes in could become a viable alternative
to a new computer or printer for a second owner, if I'm good at matching
capability with user needs, and defeating the upgrade treadmill
mentality discussed earlier in the thread.

So how do I get people off that treadmill from my little corner?

More relevant to [rescue], how do I get someone to consider taking over
a Sparcstation running Debian 3 (about which they can get howto books,
and do apt-get install whatever to grab an app) instead of buying a new
PC or Mac?

-- SP
   http://www.lightlink.com/babbages/