[rescue] Sun / Linux LX50

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Fri Sep 20 13:55:08 CDT 2002

This is the difference between volume commodities and
niche markets.  Volume commodities have the potential for
huge growth, and hence more money for the corporation,
venture capitalists, and other investors.  Niche markets,
are by their very nature, limited in the amount of income
they can generate (though they can still be lucrative).

The computers that corporations put on desktops are largely
seen as commodities.  Why put something on a person's desk
that's expensive and has a longer life when you are going
to have to replace it in 1.5-3 yrs?  Because the reality is,
regardless of how long it *will* last (Sun, SGI, Apple, whatever),
it will be replaced every 1.5-3 yr.  New employee=new computer
in most cases, and most people don't stay at a job more than
2 years.

Think about computer gamers (even consoles)--same attitude.
Cell phones, PDAs (getting there), etc.

This "commodity" attitude is "helped along" by the way that
hardware, software, and OSs (even Linux--how often do you up-
grade your kernel?) are marketed.

The success of M$ has nothing to do with the quality of product
(just like McDonalds), and instead has everything to do with
changing the perception of the consumer wrt how often they are
supposed to "upgrade".  Similarly the chip market--CPUs and video
cards, particularly.

I don't like M$, but I have to give them credit for the amazing
way they managed to change the consumer's perception.  This
change in perception has driven the majority of technological change
we have seen in the last ten years.  If you can't get people
to by something, there's no point in doing the research/manufac./
etc. to get the technology out there.  My computers toys are
a lot cheaper and have a higher performance/dollar ratio because
of this change in perception and the resultant commodification
of computers and related accoutrements.

However, I believe, that the current computer slump signals the
same type of problem that McDonalds is currently having.
McDonalds was the first and the fastest growning, but they lost
their edge to their competitors.  Their customers have become
more savvy consumers--they are no longer satisfied with McDonalds'
bland, old offerings.  It remains to be seen if McDonalds can recover.

Computer users are also becoming more sophisticated--even if
they are still on a M$ OS.  They want products that are easier
to use, faster, and more integrated with all their other toys (think
about the grandma's who use email these days, or all the people
making their own movies).  The computer industry as a whole has
not figured out the next step to keep the consumer interested.
Part of it is the "last mile" problem.  Part of it is getting
to those people who still don't have a computer.  But the remainder
is really wrapped up in keeping those who have computers excited
about buying new computer/computer-related "stuff".

(As an example to show the "tiredness" of the offerings--look at
the PC game market--the top online FPShooter game is Counter-Strike
a 3 yr old free mod written for a 4 yr old game.)

I think Apple is nibbling around the edges of the next step (sorry
for the pun), but I don't think they quite have it--they have
the consumer's perception of their product (either 'it's a toy'
or 'it's for graphics professionals') to overcome.

=Nadine=