[rescue] Sun / Linux LX50

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Sep 19 21:09:39 CDT 2002

Steve Sandau wrote:

> Have to agree with Greh here. (No, it's not *really* that tough.) Look
> at the Ford Pinto, VHS tapes (inferior but critical mass in popularity)
> and so on. Most != best.

Remember that 'best' is a subjective word. As an example, say there are 2 parts that do
the identical job, 1 of them costs $10 and will probably last about a year. The second
one costs $100 but will last at least 10 years. Which is the best part? For me
personally I would go for the $100 part any chance I get, however most businesses don't
think that way. Say the part is for something that they only see using for say 2 years
or so, they buy the cheaper one, and have to buy 2 of them. They've spent $20 for the
services of that tool. Why spend $100 when you can spend $20? Now if your profession
requires the use of that part everyday and you plan on doing it for like 20 years or
more the $100 would be the best one for the job.

Remember most of the time in corp. America, the person making the buying decision isn't
going to use what they're buying, so do they care if you need to reboot your desktop
machine every day? They see a tool that was bought cheap, knowing it probably won't
last that long.
--
-Mike