CD-ROM and CD-R on SGI (was Re: [rescue] Tape Backup)

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Sep 20 06:31:45 CDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:17:33PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> I'm really sorry to hear that it takes the SGI drive firmware to do
> audio-over-SCSI n the Indigo2.  I can't make up my mind whether to buy an
> SGI drive so I can do that, or just forget it.
If you can get an old Toshiba CDROM drive like the 3401, you can
switch it to the SGI mode yourself. There are two "solder jumper
pads" at the back of this drives labled with "0" and "1". You have
to cut the small trace of either pad "0" or "1" (sorry, forget which
one) and the drive will use the special SGI firmware. If the other
trace is opened it will switch to a special Sun firmware. If both
are opened it will use the normal firmware but with 512 byte blocks.
--

tsch,
         Jochen