CD-ROM and CD-R on SGI (was Re: [rescue] Tape Backup)

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Thu Sep 19 23:12:30 CDT 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> IN addition, I have a NEC CDR-512.  6X caddy-based reader.  Regardless of
> the model number, it's neither a CD-R drive nor capable of being jumpered to
> do 512 bytes/sector.  I haven't tried it with either the Sun or the SGI.

 I've got this exact drive that I use on my Indigo2. It doesn't support
audio-over-SCSI, but 6X helps keep data moving.

 My Plextor R412C actually puts up a fight with mediad... I had to
instruct mediad to ignore the drive so I can only use it as a burner.

> I'm really sorry to hear that it takes the SGI drive firmware to do
> audio-over-SCSI n the Indigo2.  I can't make up my mind whether to buy an
> SGI drive so I can do that, or just forget it.  Clearly, the Plextor burner
> won't do as a one-drive audio-disk copying solution, so I don't know exactly
> how I'm going to arrange things....

 I was under the impression that most (if not all?) Toshiba drives "just
worked" as SGI preferred to use Toshiba extensions when talking to SCSI
devices. I think some Sony drives may also support audio-over-SCSI.

 My 1X SGI-issue Toshiba is the only drive I own that supports
audio-over-SCSI. Very picky these SGI systems, but I wouldn't trade 'em
for anything.

---
 Matthew Haas           Squirrel's Law #209203923: "Thou shalt ignoreth
 Corning/Geneseo, NY       all RAM specifications, they're noo scottish"