[rescue] Re: CD-ROM and CD-R on SGI

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Fri Sep 20 14:12:42 CDT 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Jochen Kunz wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:17:33PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
>> I'm really sorry to hear that it takes the SGI drive firmware to do
>> audio-over-SCSI n the Indigo2.  I can't make up my mind whether to buy an
>> SGI drive so I can do that, or just forget it.
>If you can get an old Toshiba CDROM drive like the 3401, you can
>switch it to the SGI mode yourself. There are two "solder jumper
>pads" at the back of this drives labled with "0" and "1". You have
>to cut the small trace of either pad "0" or "1" (sorry, forget which
>one) and the drive will use the special SGI firmware. If the other
>trace is opened it will switch to a special Sun firmware. If both
>are opened it will use the normal firmware but with 512 byte blocks.

I may have a (at least two, maybe 4) older Toshiba SCSI CDROM
drives, not sure of speed.  None have been used in the last 2-3
yrs--they are out of decom'd disk trays that were attached to
Suns.  I also have 8mm tape drives out of the same trays (and
the trays).  Contact me off list if interested.

=Nadine=