[rescue] Sun / Linux LX50

Charles J. Killian charles.killian at domainsi.com
Thu Sep 19 09:34:46 CDT 2002

OK All,

Here we go.

I've kicked around this business for nearly thirty years and if I've
learned one thing at all is that there is no single best solution.

A statistically significant sampling of the traffic on this list
would show either a) rants about PCs or b) what SUN, SGI, HP, fill in
the blank, should have/should not have done.

I've worked on everything from mainframes to PDAs and the lesson to
be learned from that is that you gotta use the right tool for the
job!  They all have their place.

PCs/Windows is not an inherently bad solution... for certain things.
Many times millions of workstations prove that.  Would I use PCs for
server services, probably not.  They simply are not robust enough,
ever, IMHO.  Would I put a Sun workstation on every desktop, probably
not, too expensive.

I use Sun equipment, and live with its foibles because it never
breaks (or almost never <grin>).  I've got Sun Sparcs of one kind or
another that have literally not been turned off for years and on and
on they go.  To be honest the Sparc/PC hybrids leave me a bit cold.
More of a marketer's decision than a technical one I'd bet.

I use PCs because for desktop work they are sufficient, and
inexpensive.  They are not as robust as a Sun, etc. but they do not
have to be.

Every operating system has it's idiosyncrasies.  You pays your money
and takes your chances. I truly enjoy OS wars because when you tally
up all of the complaints, shouldas, and couldas on every side its
about a push.  As to the free OSs like BSD, LINUX you get what you
pay for.  I've tried 'em all and nothing works as well on a Sun as
Solaris.  Say what you want about Solaris' failings, alleged or
otherwise, but like the hardware its robust and usually trouble free.
 I saw McNealy on TV last night and he made the point that the Sun OS
is more secure and virus free.  He's right.  Now if they could get
their pricing structure right.

The point of this is long lost I guess. Speaking directly to the
folks commenting on the LX50, if it does not meet your needs find or
build something that does, or start your own company and build a
better mouse trap.  If the LX50 is a bad idea Sun will sell about 2
and we will all move on.  Whining does no good at all.

For you younger folk lurking on this list play with EVERYTHING and
judge NOTHING.  It's fun and keeps you employed.  For us old duffers
who have played with everything I hope it's still fun.  It is for me.

C...

Charles J. Killian
Project Engineer
Domain Systems, Inc.