[rescue] Sun / Linux LX50

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Sep 17 08:44:42 CDT 2002

"Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" <patrick at zill.net> wrote:

> Wow, it is worse than it appears.  So in other words, I could buy
> something off pricewatch.com, slap it in a decent 1U case, and have
> the same thing for under a grand.

<Suit>
"But you don't get support or warrantys with home-built hardware.  Also
the platform isn't proven, and there's no-one to complain to when it
breaks down.  Sun tested these extensively, and they know what works.
We have to trust that these are far better than what we could build
in-house."
</Suit>

I think Sun will do brisk business on these servers, if their marketing
is good and they continue to support (not try to run) the open-source
community.  It's all about marketing to the people that control the
money - which usually isn't the geeks...
--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie