[rescue] Tape Backup

Jeremy RJ Towers jeremytowers at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 02:53:45 CDT 2002

Hi Sheldon,

Your very greatest increase in reliability will come from not using
ufsdump on mounted partitions.

Note the first paragraph in the man page of ufsdumps. They aren't
joking. And no, don't ask how I know this or why I feel strongly about it.

The bottom line is garbage in = garbage out.

Veritas Netbackup uses gnu tar, which has more features than ordinary
tar, and can lock files on a file by file basis, and cope with pipes etc.

cpio is fairly universal between Unix systems.

HTH

Jeremy