[rescue] Tape Backup

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Wed Sep 18 15:33:27 CDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Mike Meredith wrote:

>> Would some other drive be better?
>
>We use DLTs at work, and the tapes seem to fail less frequently than
>DDS.

You should be able to get a DLT relatively cheaply used.  Tape life
is hideously long (like a million cycles or some such IIRC, as is
LTO), so for a small shop 3-4 of DLT III tapes should pretty well last
forever.  I have found DLT III/IV tapes at swaps for $10-20. Pop
open the door and check to see that the leader on the tape where
it is grabbed by the tape drive is in good condition--that's usually
the only thing that gets chewed.

=Nadine=