[rescue] SparcStation 4s brackets

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Fri Sep 6 12:18:53 CDT 2002

"Loomis, Rip" wrote:

> Interesting.  The two SPARC 4s that I've looked inside
> both had a single SCSI disk attached more-or-less directly
> to the motherboard IIRC...

Actually the attach above the motherboard. There's a bracket that
attaches to the mb with 4 screws, then the normal SS4/4/20 drive sled
attaches to that.
>they did have the metal piece
> that the SS5/SS20 brackets would go into (since it's part
> of the Aurora chassis), but they didn't have the 2-disk
> SCA backplane or the associated cables.  So they might
> be physically able to hold a disk with an SS5/SS20
> bracket, but it would require additional cabling to
> actually be usable.

If you have the scsi backplane and cable from either a 5 or 20, there is
in fact a connector on the SS4 mb for it (separate from the connector
for the 'normal' SS4 location) This makes it look like in theory the SS4
can hold 3 drives, but unless you can figure out how to change the SCSI
ID on one of the drives, the lower of the 2 drives that mount in the SS5
fashion is ID3, as is the one in the SS4 bracket :(

--
-Mike