[rescue] SparcStation 4s brackets

Darryl Barile dbarile at interserv.com
Sat Sep 7 01:04:49 CDT 2002

From: "Loomis, Rip" <GILBERT.R.LOOMIS at saic.com>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 9:44 AM
Subject: RE: [rescue] SparcStation 4s brackets

> > > Hmm.  16 SPARC 4s for $800.  No useful disk brackets,
> > > because a SPARC 4 has a single hard drive mount on the
> > > motherboard and doesn't use SS5/SS20-style brackets
>
> > Actually the Sparc4 uses the same plastice sled as the
> > Sparc5...
>
> Interesting.  The two SPARC 4s that I've looked inside
> both had a single SCSI disk attached more-or-less directly
> to the motherboard IIRC...they did have the metal piece

Same plastic sled. different mount points.

As some one has already pointed out, you can canabalize a SS5
and use that back pane in the SS4.  I've seen it done here but I've
never done it myself. I like the 4 because of the integrated video. I
don't have to try and find an SBUS framebuffer.  Expandability isn't
a feature of the ss4.

Still $800.00 is/was way too much.  People give them away to me
these days.