[rescue] SparcStation 4s brackets

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 6 08:44:45 CDT 2002

> > Hmm.  16 SPARC 4s for $800.  No useful disk brackets,
> > because a SPARC 4 has a single hard drive mount on the
> > motherboard and doesn't use SS5/SS20-style brackets

> Actually the Sparc4 uses the same plastice sled as the
> Sparc5...

Interesting.  The two SPARC 4s that I've looked inside
both had a single SCSI disk attached more-or-less directly
to the motherboard IIRC...they did have the metal piece
that the SS5/SS20 brackets would go into (since it's part
of the Aurora chassis), but they didn't have the 2-disk
SCA backplane or the associated cables.  So they might
be physically able to hold a disk with an SS5/SS20
bracket, but it would require additional cabling to
actually be usable.

I'll take a look inside the only SS4 that I have access
to, but could anyone comment?  Not a big deal, but I'm
curious since Darryl B. and I seem to be seeing different
SS4s...and I've passed up several SS4s because I wanted
more expandability.

  --Rip