[rescue] SparcStation 4s on eBay

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 5 09:26:23 CDT 2002

> No sale, pity - almost a bargain, if only for the brackets & RAM...

Hmm.  16 SPARC 4s for $800.  No useful disk brackets, because
a SPARC 4 has a single hard drive mount on the motherboard and
doesn't use SS5/SS20-style brackets.  Average about 2.5 sticks of
memory, and those can be purchased for $10 each (I did recently
on ebay from newlightmedia...).

If they'd broken this up into smaller lots I might have been
interested...but $800 + shipping for the two or three systems
I might use is unrealistic.  This would have been a reasonable
candidate IMHO to post at a starting bid of $200 and see what
it went for...or better yet to break up into smaller lots.

As it was, not even close to a bargain by my assessment.  If I'm
going to spend $800 on SPARC gear, I'd rather have a single U60/U80
with a decent loadout than a fleet of SS4s with 8-bit graphics.

  --Rip