[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu Nov 28 21:02:53 CST 2002

>    You win some, you lose some.  That's the nature of auctions.  Of
> course I never intended to screw Eric, I know he's pissed at me, and I
> feel bad about it...but not *too* bad, because he elected to go up
> against me in the auction in the first place, which is something folks
> around here generally don't do.

Actually, the nature of auctions is to let the high bidder win, not
who can go make the best outside deal.

I bid the auction because I said right from the start I would.  If
I really want something, I'm going to go ahead and bid.  This is an
example.  I usually don't bid against others on the list.

>    Doing an end-run around the auction was a sleazy thing for me to do,
> to be sure.  But there is another issue that gave me quite a bit of
> time pressure...when our very own Sridhar (and his S/390) evaporated
> from my company recently, a big part of the company's product plans
> (which required his machine or one like it) evaporated with him.  Since
> these machines represented the possibility of a resurrection of that
> plan, and we're now deep into planning our deployment strategy, I had
> to give it a shot.

Now, if you'd told me this in the beginning I would not have
tried to win the auction, as you needthis this to keep your
company going while for me it would be a hobby purchase.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net