[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Thu Nov 28 21:04:53 CST 2002

>    You win some, you lose some.  That's the nature of auctions.  Of
> course I never intended to screw Eric, I know he's pissed at me, and I
> feel bad about it...but not *too* bad, because he elected to go up
> against me in the auction in the first place, which is something folks
> around here generally don't do.  But that's neither here nor
> there...the simple fact remains that nobody here ever had any real shot
> at those machines on personal finances with all the dealers running
> around on eBay, unless they're a lot wealthier than they let on.
>
>    Doing an end-run around the auction was a sleazy thing for me to do,
> to be sure.  But there is another issue that gave me quite a bit of
> time pressure...when our very own Sridhar (and his S/390) evaporated
> from my company recently, a big part of the company's product plans
> (which required his machine or one like it) evaporated with him.  Since
> these machines represented the possibility of a resurrection of that
> plan, and we're now deep into planning our deployment strategy, I had
> to give it a shot.
>
>    Not justification, but explanation.

So something prevented someone else from doing the same thing?? It's an
auction. It's not a store where you walk in and buy something for the
marked price. It is a sale with variable terms, by definition. If you
managed to get it, then great! You didn't lie, cheat or steal. You just
found a different way to make you and the seller happy.

*shrug*

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician, TMA Bath, Maine