[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

ed at the7thbeer.com ed at the7thbeer.com
Thu Nov 28 21:02:23 CST 2002

You didn't win the "auction".  You convinced the seller to end the
auction.  Slight difference.

>    You win some, you lose some.  That's the nature of auctions.  Of
> course I never intended to screw Eric, I know he's pissed at me, and I
> feel bad about it...but not *too* bad, because he elected to go up
> against me in the auction in the first place, which is something folks
> around here generally don't do.  But that's neither here nor

There's some unspoken rule that if a person on this list bids against you
that it's an automatic "behind the back" end run?  I'll remember that now
that I know.

> there...the simple fact remains that nobody here ever had any real shot
> at those machines on personal finances with all the dealers running
> around on eBay, unless they're a lot wealthier than they let on.

And so you're the ultimate judge of that eh?  Rather specious reasoning in
my opinion.

>    Doing an end-run around the auction was a sleazy thing for me to do,
> to be sure.  But there is another issue that gave me quite a bit of
> time pressure...when our very own Sridhar (and his S/390) evaporated
> from my company recently, a big part of the company's product plans
> (which required his machine or one like it) evaporated with him.  Since
> these machines represented the possibility of a resurrection of that
> plan, and we're now deep into planning our deployment strategy, I had
> to give it a shot.

So I take it you offered the seller a *fair* price then.  After all, that
would be the only right thing to do in light of the circumstances,
especially since this is going to benefit the company.  Or am I mistaken?

-ed