[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Nov 28 20:46:28 CST 2002

   You win some, you lose some.  That's the nature of auctions.  Of
course I never intended to screw Eric, I know he's pissed at me, and I
feel bad about it...but not *too* bad, because he elected to go up
against me in the auction in the first place, which is something folks
around here generally don't do.  But that's neither here nor
there...the simple fact remains that nobody here ever had any real shot
at those machines on personal finances with all the dealers running
around on eBay, unless they're a lot wealthier than they let on.

   Doing an end-run around the auction was a sleazy thing for me to do,
to be sure.  But there is another issue that gave me quite a bit of
time pressure...when our very own Sridhar (and his S/390) evaporated
from my company recently, a big part of the company's product plans
(which required his machine or one like it) evaporated with him.  Since
these machines represented the possibility of a resurrection of that
plan, and we're now deep into planning our deployment strategy, I had
to give it a shot.

   Not justification, but explanation.

         -Dave