[rescue] Waht is a decent Sun Workstation

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 22:07:19 CST 2002

--- Kevin <kevin at pipeline.com> wrote:
> I've been playing with my Sparcstation 20 for a week or
> so now, and have decided i might like to get a more
> powerful machine for everyday use.  Nothing too
> expensive just something a bit more modern.
>
> Is an Ultra5 or an Ultra10 a good choice?  are there
> any pitfalls to watch out for?

I really like the 300 MHz U30s I have worked with, they "feel" much
faster than a 200 MHz U1, and the dual framebuffer slots are great.
They are heavy mothers though, so shipping one to you may be more
pricey than a U1/U5/U10.

U60s are even nicer (dual framebuffer-capable, dual CPU-capable, and
built-in dual SCSI), but are priced higher...

Bottom line, a nice U30 w/300 MHz CPU, Creator framebuffer (any), 256
Meg of RAM, and a couple 4 Gig (or better) drives, and you will be in
FINE SHAPE.

Oh, and be sure to put enough aside for a nice monitor (or two, if you
go dual head ;^)...

Lionel

=====
Lionel