[rescue] Linux

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Fri Nov 29 13:18:20 CST 2002

> Linux is what got me started on the non-MS world, and i have a (lurking)
> listmember to thank for that.  It was an evening back in high school
> with me being talked through the installation of slakware on my Packard
> Bell 33mhz 486 with 4MB of RAM.  Ahh, the small events of life that
> change everything.

Similar experience here. My supervisor at the college where I was
working as a network tech suggested that I might want to try out this
Unix-like OS called Linux. I decided that if I was going to learn my way
around the Internet (with pine, lynx, and ftp ...) that I should learn
it witht he "native" os.

So my first non-MS, non-Apple experience was Linux. I have since come to
appreciate "real" *nixes. Each has its place, and for me Linux was an
excellent learning tool. I still use it when I can't load Solaris, HP-UX
or a BSD...

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician, TMA Bath, Maine