[rescue] Fw: Quick low-tech question

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Nov 14 13:36:18 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:44:18 -0500
Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:

> Your monitor *must* support SOG.  I know of no way to make a non-SOG
> monitor work with framebuffers expecting SOG.  Most 'modern' monitors
> support SOG - even my lowly Iiyama 17" monitors support SOG, so I
> would think it's fairly common.
>
> --
> Kurt
> kurt at k-huhn.com

There is no way to do SOG to separate sync or vice versa with a cable,
there would need to be a mixer to convert to SOG, or a demux to convert
from SOG.  Probably somebody with electronic brains could do it with
relatively few components, but because most good monitors these days
handle SOG anyway I don't know if anyone ever has done it.  I currently
have 4 Sony monitors (a 21" Digital, a 19" SGI, and 2 17"s, an IBM and a
Digital) and I believe all of them do SOG. I know I haven't run into any
stuff that won't sync up on them, with the exception of some weird 13W3
Tektronix card in my Mac IIfx, and I have yet to find anything that will
sync.

Tim