[rescue] What job does your SGI do at home?

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Tue Nov 5 00:12:34 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 23:54, Claude.W wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I am not a frequent poster here.
>
> I guess I am one of the rare canadians (Quebec) with alot of SGI and SUN
> stuff in my private home...lotta other stuff too...

Me too (Manitoba).

> O2, Origin 200, Indy, Indigoes, 4D system...etc....

Oooo. 4D and an Origin 200. I'm jealous.

> Since its in my home, you can figure its mostly used just to "play around
> with"....
>
> Companies are now unwilling to spend 4X normal cost to maintain and service
> SGI stuff...I can understand that....so they go to X86 style boxes...
>
> This SGI stuff is quite rare around here in Quebec...I got most of it for
> 0$...since most of it cant do nothing real "productive" anymore...they are
> just rare, neat and curious hardware....

I don't know where you are from, but Toronto probably has the highest
density of SGI's in Canada (NCR, Alias|Wavefront, Discreet, and others).
Hell of a lot more than here, that's for sure. Someone I know that works
near Discreet said he saw them throwing >12 Indigo2 Impact's in the
dumpster (I cry).

> Most was found in universities, surplus places and schools...and was
> intercepted before going to thrash bin...some came from US friends in
> giveaways...most from inside Canada...

If you ever have to turn some away, send them my way. I am tired of
having to deal with shipping from the US.

> Anyone within canada (or somewhere else)  with non x86 hardware recent or
> semi-recent can contact me
> for a rescue....or trades...I also have large collection of vintage 8 and 16
> bit machines...
>
> These days I'm looking for 72 pin simms 16mb and over with parity, O2 ram
> and ram and a
> decent CPU for a Sparc 20...

I might have some ram for a SS20. Contact me off-list.

> Claude
> http://computer_collector.tripod.com

shawn