[rescue] Discussion Question (was Fast Terminal Servers?)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Nov 1 09:54:30 CST 2002

"Tim H." <lists at pellucidar.net> asks ...

> OK, Where does everyone fit in the home LAN picture?
>
> a. I have a computer which can have an optional network interface

Our interface to the 'net is through a Netopia ISDN router/firewall.  That
goes to a hub for the wired portion of the LAN, and to an EnGenius WAP for
the wireless portion.

> b. I share an AOL account with my significant other with a crossover
> cable

Everyone has his or her own account on some ISP or employer for mail and
news, as well as an account on our mailserver.

> c. I have a linksys router/hub and a few computers

Ditto, essentially.  Since I've had a home LAN for over 10 years, I have
some 10base2, some 10baseT and some 802.11b, with all the required
conversion hardware.

> d. I have wired and wireless segments

Wireless is just cool.

> e. I run DHCP/Dynamic DNS to save configuration time

Most of our stuff has permanent addresses.  We have to do that for anyone
who wants to offer services through the firewall, like the X server on my
laptop that talks to a machine 2000 miles away.  We have DHCP for visitors
and machines that are only on the LAN occasionally.

> f. I have multiple subnets, to keep my architectures and physical
> topolgy separate

I don't bother.  It's all 192.168.0.x.

> g. Home?  I live in the network closet at work.

Heh.  We're able to keep the computing machinery mostly segregated from the
living spaces, and have real living spaces.  The computers are either in the
"server closet" in the basement, my office, or my wife's office.  It was not
always thus, and many nights have seen me fall asleep while listenting to
the while-noise lullaby....

-Shel