[rescue] Solaris WAVElan/Orinoco support

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Thu Jan 31 19:07:47 CST 2002

> justdeals.com also carries Proxim RangeLAN (?) stuff for $39 per card... or
> was it $29.  I haven't used them though.  I picked up one of the Orinoco
> Silver cards and have been very happy with it on a Win2K box.

i just found a deal from a listmember for $40/each for silver cards.  at that
price i don't see why i shouldn't get two silver cards and be done with it.

> And I suppose if you are going to use Linux, the Linksys WPC11 cards are
> okay, but I usually find those for more than the Orinoco Silver cards...
> And I would avoid the Linksys cards like the plague if you intend to use
> them on a Winders box... they suck eggs there, can't retain a signal
> to save their lives.  I don't know why Linksys could have gotten it so
> wrong when the Linux folks haven't, but that's the way it is.

Solaris and win2k are the only two operating systems here that will have cards
in them, so i'm probably best of sticking with the silvers.

thanks!

-brian