[rescue] Solaris WAVElan/Orinoco support

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jan 31 19:13:09 CST 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> ok, so all Orinoco i can do this for around $150, not too shabby.  anyone have
> any recommendations for 802.11b wireless cards for a win2000 box?  i'm not
> stuck to the wavelan/orinoco thing there.

justdeals.com also carries Proxim RangeLAN (?) stuff for $39 per card... or
was it $29.  I haven't used them though.  I picked up one of the Orinoco
Silver cards and have been very happy with it on a Win2K box.

And I suppose if you are going to use Linux, the Linksys WPC11 cards are
okay, but I usually find those for more than the Orinoco Silver cards...
And I would avoid the Linksys cards like the plague if you intend to use
them on a Winders box... they suck eggs there, can't retain a signal
to save their lives.  I don't know why Linksys could have gotten it so
wrong when the Linux folks haven't, but that's the way it is.

--Kurt