[rescue] Solaris WAVElan/Orinoco support

Al Potter apotter at spankingnuns.com
Thu Jan 31 21:08:34 CST 2002

wonko at arkham.ws said:
> someone explain ad hoc to me.  why can't i use "proper base station
> mode" in a machine since all these access points are is firmware with
> an antenna and a wireless PCMCIA card in them.

I do not know of any software implementation of "base station mode" other
that the one I mentioned, and you have to own an AP to blow it into.

In managed mode, each station (STA) associates with an AP, and from that
point on (under the current specs), ALL traffic, even what would ordinarily
(in a wired ether environment) goes through the AP.  With a single AP, this
doesn't seem to make sense.  Imagine a 30 floor ofice building, each floor
with 4 APs (for coverage) and seamless roaming between floors.

In ad-hoc, it's more like the traditional shared media of wired ethernet.

Typically, APs bridge to the wired network.  In ad-hoc, with one STA
dual-homed on the wired network, you are either going to have to turn it
into a router and assign the wireless net to another subnet, or figure out
how to make the dual-homed STA bridge.

If it's not obvious, I've been tracking the space....

AL