[rescue] Re: Re: FreeBSd/SCSI, PPro Overdrives

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Jan 30 09:50:54 CST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> on 1/30/02 2:53 AM, Robert Novak at rnovak at indyramp.com wrote:
>
> > I rarely ever put it on IDE disks myself... was warming up a dual
> > Pp200/256 machine for an acqaintence in the midwest, and FreeBSD 4.4 was
> > an easy choice for a quickly-SMP'ed net-installable OS for it. 2940W, pair
> > of seagate wide disks, 64MB RAM, MS6103 board, not a bad little box.
>
> Right! The only IDE thing in this box is the CD-ROM, Big-assed Antec
> workstation case, 400W PS 6 fans....

Heh, nice case. I have a similar one, erm, had... a Supermicro full tower.
COuldn't find matched slot1 processors locally, so I took it to the swap,
sold it for $100 (was more than I paid for it) and half an hour later got
a pair of p2-400s for $30 each. Ewps.

> Anyway I am using the Micronics W6-LI board, dual 333 overdrives, 9 GB
> Seagate Cudafish and a 2940UW

Wonderful board. I've done Linux and FreeBSD on that board (180 at 200, and
200 at 210). My main machine at home is currently an Intel PR440FX with the
200 at 210 config and 256MB of RAM.

> Wicked fast box :) Now, as a member of this comunity I could never do things
> the easy or boring way (ie. buy a fast new pc) I have to go with cool
> hardware and do everything the HARD way :)
> >
> >> I have BANISHED FreeBSD from my house/machines I have built a new
> >> Linux PeeCee Dual Pentium Pro 333 Overdrives :) so I have something
> >> that works with SMP.
> >
> > I know it's been asked before, but with everyone flaming everyone else's
> > OSes incessantly and inappropriately (hint hint move to other lists maybe
> > hint hint) I can't remember.

This wasn't a swipe individually at you, Mike. I'm just growing tired of
the expletive-laden tripe that seems to bubble up for every full moon
here. YOu've been passive compared to some, and I don't think you've
directly insulted an individual for their choice of OS. It's perfectly
reasonable to not use an OS that you haven't had good experiences with
(I'm not running Ultrix...).

Guys, and gals, the best way to convince someone that your preferred OS is
better than theirs is to promote yours, show why it's good, and show that
it has mature adults in their right minds who use it for good reasons.
Insulting other OSes that (whether you admit it or not) work quite well
for others, and insulting the people who use them, just makes it look like
you're hiding something.

> > How's performance on those overdrives, and
> > how's cost effectiveness compared to 100mhz bus P2/P3 processors or
> > anything else in a similar price range?

> Understand something. If I could get FreeBSD to behave and install
> sanely I would love to use it instead of Linux. No flame fest OS war,
> just my experience.

So no comparison on Pentium Pro Overdrive vs Pentium 2/3?

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows