[rescue] Re: FreeBSd/SCSI, PPro Overdrives

Mike Nicewonger twmaster at twmaster.com
Wed Jan 30 02:48:54 CST 2002

on 1/30/02 2:53 AM, Robert Novak at rnovak at indyramp.com wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>
>> Well I will have to say I have NEVER been able to get FreeBSD to boot
>> from a SCSI disked PeeCee EVER. I find the installer confusing often
>> causing one to go into a frustrating endless loop.
>
> I rarely ever put it on IDE disks myself... was warming up a dual
> Pp200/256 machine for an acqaintence in the midwest, and FreeBSD 4.4 was
> an easy choice for a quickly-SMP'ed net-installable OS for it. 2940W, pair
> of seagate wide disks, 64MB RAM, MS6103 board, not a bad little box.
>
> If I'd been in a patient mood, I might have installed Debian and rebuilt a
> kernel, but since I wanted to pound on the system a bit, a couple of
> buildworlds were just what the doctor ordered.

Right! The only IDE thing in this box is the CD-ROM, Big-assed Antec
workstation case, 400W PS 6 fans....

Anyway I am using the Micronics W6-LI board, dual 333 overdrives, 9 GB
Seagate Cudafish and a 2940UW

Wicked fast box :) Now, as a member of this comunity I could never do things
the easy or boring way (ie. buy a fast new pc) I have to go with cool
hardware and do everything the HARD way :)

>> I have BANISHED FreeBSD from my house/machines I have built a new
>> Linux PeeCee Dual Pentium Pro 333 Overdrives :) so I have something
>> that works with SMP.
>
> I know it's been asked before, but with everyone flaming everyone else's
> OSes incessantly and inappropriately (hint hint move to other lists maybe
> hint hint) I can't remember. How's performance on those overdrives, and
> how's cost effectiveness compared to 100mhz bus P2/P3 processors or
> anything else in a similar price range?
> I'm still a big PPro fan (half of my PCs at home are single or
> dual PPro, and there's a quad ppro monster sitting on my coffee table next
> to my new U30) but I don't think I'd be likely to go too far beyond the
> 210mhz I'm getting out of a pair of 200/512s in my main Linux box for now.
> Next step is probably dual P3-500.

Understand something. If I could get FreeBSD to behave and install sanely I
would love to use it instead of Linux. No flame fest OS war, just my
experience.

Mike N