[rescue] Re: FreeBSd/SCSI, PPro Overdrives

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Jan 30 01:53:41 CST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> Well I will have to say I have NEVER been able to get FreeBSD to boot
> from a SCSI disked PeeCee EVER. I find the installer confusing often
> causing one to go into a frustrating endless loop.

I rarely ever put it on IDE disks myself... was warming up a dual
Pp200/256 machine for an acqaintence in the midwest, and FreeBSD 4.4 was
an easy choice for a quickly-SMP'ed net-installable OS for it. 2940W, pair
of seagate wide disks, 64MB RAM, MS6103 board, not a bad little box.

If I'd been in a patient mood, I might have installed Debian and rebuilt a
kernel, but since I wanted to pound on the system a bit, a couple of
buildworlds were just what the doctor ordered.

> I have BANISHED FreeBSD from my house/machines I have built a new
> Linux PeeCee Dual Pentium Pro 333 Overdrives :) so I have something
> that works with SMP.

I know it's been asked before, but with everyone flaming everyone else's
OSes incessantly and inappropriately (hint hint move to other lists maybe
hint hint) I can't remember. How's performance on those overdrives, and
how's cost effectiveness compared to 100mhz bus P2/P3 processors or
anything else in a similar price range?
	I'm still a big PPro fan (half of my PCs at home are single or
dual PPro, and there's a quad ppro monster sitting on my coffee table next
to my new U30) but I don't think I'd be likely to go too far beyond the
210mhz I'm getting out of a pair of 200/512s in my main Linux box for now.
Next step is probably dual P3-500.

--Rob (pondering a Xeon board that will take a P3X-733 or two, but alas,
Louie's only got one cpu left)

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows