[rescue] WWII Aircraft (was RE: Boats?)

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Fri Jan 25 11:32:34 CST 2002

> I haven't yet.  I recently bought a camcorder...

   Hurry, man hurry! No one is getting any younger! :7)

> We've all decided that donating [Civil War diaries] to a
> museum or university would be the best way
> to preserve them and make them available to scholars.

   Try your state's Historical Society, too: they'd often be very grateful
for such an interesting tie-in for state history (unless, of course, you
live in the south, in which case physical evidence of the struggle is rather
more common than in the Midwest where I grew up).

> One condition we've got, though, is that any transcriptions
> must be made available for free to us, as we want to have a
> record we can read without worrying about harming the diaries.

   You could copy-stand them, I guess, if they lay flat, and then OCR or
print and transcribe those images yourself.
   Just getting the raw text onto the web someplace and then into Google's
cache ought to be a good start. Myself, I'm writing a section of a family
history that has my gradfather's wartime service as its focus; I intend to
print it out for everyone, but to post a PDF someplace on the web, too, so
other people can use my sources.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt