[rescue] WWII Aircraft (was RE: Boats?)

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Fri Jan 25 11:26:06 CST 2002

> I wish I could get either of my grandfathers to talk.

   Have you requested their records -- with their permission or,
posthumously, with a letter of permission from a child, as I did for Grandpa
Hurley -- from the Military Personnel Records Center in St. Luois, MO (who
holds them for the National Archives and Records Administration)? Check it
out:
    http://www.nara.gov/regional/mpr.html
   (Quite a task of archiving al that paper!) These folks spmetimes need
more than one request, as the first one will usually lelicit the response
that the documents were burned in the 1973 fire (see the web), but I've
found out a *lot* by starting to dig here, and then going on to make FOIA
requests from fun places like the NSA, INSCOM, etc. (You should see the
great collection of letterhead I'm accumulating)
    Also of interest is the giant "Dad's War" site at:
       http://members.aol.com/dadswar/dadsbook.htm
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt