[rescue] WWII Aircraft (was RE: Boats?)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Jan 25 12:37:28 CST 2002

> > I haven't yet.  I recently bought a camcorder...
> >
>    Hurry, man hurry! No one is getting any younger! :7)

Yes, that's true.

> > We've all decided that donating [Civil War diaries] to a
> > museum or university would be the best way
> > to preserve them and make them available to scholars.
> >
>    Try your state's Historical Society, too: they'd often be very grateful
> for such an interesting tie-in for state history (unless, of course, you
> live in the south, in which case physical evidence of the struggle is rather
> more common than in the Midwest where I grew up).

He was an immigrant (from Prussia) that settled in Michigan, but
the diaries are in WV.  I favor finding a place in Michigan.

> > One condition we've got, though, is that any transcriptions
> > must be made available for free to us, as we want to have a
> > record we can read without worrying about harming the diaries.
> >
>    You could copy-stand them, I guess, if they lay flat, and then OCR or
> print and transcribe those images yourself.

No, they really need to be handled by a professional.  The paper
has started to deteriorate.

I will make the transcriptions available for free, myself, if
we can get them.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net