[rescue] Vaxstation 4000 96

Kenneth Dunn luser at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jan 25 06:51:36 CST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 08:57:05PM +1300, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
>
> > I just picked up a Vaxstation 4000 96
> !!! You should know that you are now the proud owner of one of the
> fastest VAXen you can put on a desk.

It came with a 4/8 GB DAT drive too. 2 hard disks of unknown size.
Hopefully I'll find some documentation on the Internet on this
machine. All this and 21 monitor for $NZ150 ($US0.43 = $NZ1)

> > things like what OS is best to run on it,
> You can put OpenVMS on it, that is the OS that this machine was made for.
> But I tend to expand VMS to Very Much Strange. I am afraid, that I never
> will get "warm" with this "strange", but _very_ powerfull OS.
> And ``Of course it runs NetBSD.'' if you like a *ix environment.
> Unfortunately NetBSD does not support the graphics hardware, even
> no text mode console on the local display. You have to use serial
> console via this strange MMJ port...

I'm wondering if learning OpenVMS is going to help me employment wise
in the next 2-7 years. I'm planning to move in a systems
integration direction over that time.  Comments anyone ?

I could always be a sick fucker an install Linux on it ... hehehe

> > If anyone in NZ or Australia as a keyboard that works with one of these
> > for sale please email me.
> You can use an ordinary LK201 or LK402 from a DEC VTxxx terminal.

Thanks, I'll ring some of dealers in ex-corporate/lease equipment.
Will see how much extra RAM is for it too, has 4 modules in it. Am
told they are 16MB. Anyone know the price of them in the US of A ?