[rescue] Vaxstation 4000 96

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Jan 25 07:38:32 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 01:51:36AM +1300, Kenneth Dunn wrote:

> It came with a 4/8 GB DAT drive too. 2 hard disks of unknown size.
> Hopefully I'll find some documentation on the Internet on this
> machine. All this and 21 monitor for $NZ150 ($US0.43 = $NZ1)
Nice price. Have a look at
http://anacin.nsc.vcu.edu/~jim/mvax/pinouts.html
for how to build your own MMJ cable. Flip the S3 switch under the
flap on the lower right side of the front to force the machine to
serial console. Connect a terminal with 9600 8n1 (or terminal
emulator on an other computer). Switch the machine on. You should
see some messages from the PROM. When it finished the tests do a
"show dev", "show mem" and the machine will tell you what you want
to know.

> I could always be a sick fucker an install Linux on it ... hehehe
Don't let this precious machine be fucked by fat, ordinary
penguins. ;-)

> Thanks, I'll ring some of dealers in ex-corporate/lease equipment.
> Will see how much extra RAM is for it too, has 4 modules in it. Am
> told they are 16MB. Anyone know the price of them in the US of A ?
64MB is a lot for a VAX and sufficient for desktop use.
I have 128M in my 90 that is running NetBSD and it is really
hard to fill this huge (in terms of a VAX) capacity of RAM.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen