[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jan 20 12:55:28 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 10:48:07AM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Yeah, and bonobo, which fits into CORBA and ORBs somehow, is still
> undergoing massive speedups, which is desperately needs.  It's not a
> lightweight component model by any means.

Bonobo is a "standard" built upon CORBA for interapplication calls for
embeding foreign data.  I  picture the relationship as being similar to
that of OLE and COM, although the relationship of those two systems is
also pretty fuzzy.

> > much this effects things.  I would expect that Sawfish would be pretty slow
> > since it is all interpretted lisp, but it actually seems to be one of the
> > faster/better pieces.
>
> I don't know about better, John didn't do a very good job regression
> testing it, but it's certainly fast.  Any crazy fools want to help port
> the rep-gtk bindings to the new GTK+?

Well, most of it has been poorly regression tested.  What version are you
talking about when you refer to the new GTK+ anyway, GTK 2?  That doesn't
look so good to me.

And I fear for the future of the GIMP.  It looks like they are planing to
do a total rewrite.  I mean, yeah, I want advanced features like CMYK
and 16bit color as much or more than the next guy, but I think planning
to rewrite is to plan to be doomed.

--
Joshua D. Boyd