[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jan 20 00:01:56 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:26:13AM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > figure out why my sisters machine is acting FUBARed.  Contributions for
> > switching her to a saner mac would be appreciated.  Something that would
> > run AOL better than a P166 is a must (I can only get her to switch so many
> > things at the same time, and I dislike windows and intel more than I do
> > AOL).
>
> i'm no mac expert, but you should be able to pick up a nice G3 based machine
> for fairly cheap, and it would runs circles around her P166, thus making you
> a hero, and also helping to keep you from spending all your time keeping her
> machine running. i have got a pretty good brick text going here and i wonder
> how far i can take it.  damn, laziness sets in.  screw it.

An imac would be perfect, but decent ones (meaning not first generation) cost
too much.  But, perhaps a first generation one would be good enough.  I was
kinda thinking in terms of a pre G3 model.

The real killer would be software though.  She would insist of MS Office, and
I also would need to get programs like Photoshop (since the Gimp doesn't work
on classic MacOS) and Freehand (or is there a corel draw port...).  Not to
mention a new graphics tablet (hers is serial) and miscelaneous new
accesories.  It's all the other stuff that would be the budget breaker.

--
Joshua D. Boyd