[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Jan 20 00:26:39 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 01:01:56AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:26:13AM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>
> An imac would be perfect, but decent ones (meaning not first generation) cost
> too much.  But, perhaps a first generation one would be good enough.  I was
> kinda thinking in terms of a pre G3 model.

You could go with a reasonably fast 603e Mac.  I picked up a barebones
6500/275Mhz that I could let go for $45.  You need to add disk, more
RAM, etc.

> The real killer would be software though.  She would insist of MS Office, and
> I also would need to get programs like Photoshop (since the Gimp doesn't work
> on classic MacOS) and Freehand (or is there a corel draw port...).  Not to

What's an academic discount for, anyways?  I think you can run GIMP
under MacOS now.  And there is Office for Mac.  And a LE version of
Corel8 that is free.  Oops, the GIMP port is OSX-only.  But Corel give
you both the PhotoPaint and Draw8 for free.

> mention a new graphics tablet (hers is serial) and miscelaneous new
> accesories.  It's all the other stuff that would be the budget breaker.

Older Macs have mini-DIN 8 serial ports, probably you can still run
the tablet with the proper cable.  Dunno what else you have.

./patrick