[rescue] octane question

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Jan 19 09:14:57 CST 2002

> Wouldn't something like autocad with mechanical engineering extensions or
> Pro/E (which has an extremely cheap student version) be better suited than
> Maya or Rhino.

Well, not really.  I *love* Rhino's interface - it's nearly perfect.  It's
built for technically minded folks.  It's lean, it's mean, it doesn't have a
lot of extras - and the built-in renderer is adequate for quick
visualization.  I'm a former architecture and mechanical engineering student
(lo, those many years ago) and Rhino just "fits" my workflow.

I tried 3DS MAX ona friends machine while I was in CA, and didn't really
like it.  I felt that it was more designed for making things that *look*
like solids, than actually visualizing solids.

Maya - cause it'll run on an SGI, and I can flex it's muscles a little :)

BTW: Blender just confuses the hell out of me - I can't make heads or tails
of that damn interface.  It'd be nice to understand it, as I have a couple
of Indigos that should run it without any problem.

Kurt