[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jan 18 23:52:43 CST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 05:33:27PM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> I use Rhino on my wintel station for designing the furniture I build.  It's
> nice to build stuff in a virtual world before spending money on wood, then
> figuring out you messed up in the design somewhere.
>
> However, I'd be more than happy to use Maya on the Octane I *WILL* buy
> (bloody pulp or no) to do it.  Besides, if its for my own enjoyment, I don't
> really care what format it saves in and if there's an invisible watermark...

Wouldn't something like autocad with mechanical engineering extensions or
Pro/E (which has an extremely cheap student version) be better suited than
Maya or Rhino.

Of course, if you can figure out how, getting your hands on Alias Studio
would be way cool.  Alias Studio see to be one program that has absolutely
nothing like it.  Basically, there are other cad and design programs, but
nothing with a similar work flow.  If I read the docs correctly, this
enourages you to start with a sketch, then slowly work out the details until
you are finally ready to move it to something like Pro/E or Catia.  I think
it would be adequate as a stand alone for furniture work though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd