[rescue] Sequent info anywhere (on the web)?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Jan 18 16:50:34 CST 2002

[ On Friday, January 18, 2002 at 14:47:51 (-0500), William Enestvedt wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [rescue] Sequent info anywhere (on the web)?
>
> As I read Greg Woods' lengthy post about upgrading the electrical panel in
> my basement (which, thank you, is still 100A), something dawned on me, so I
> need ot say: Good lord, man, I don't have this relic in my *house* -- my
> wife would kill me!

Well, given the list (rescue), and the mention of "house current", one
could only assume!  ;-)

>    This thing is actually at work, across the Data Center from our main Wang
> [hee, hee], and I have to get it moved into our updated Data Center (which
> previously wasn't provisioned for it -- I may just drop it in the spot
> designated for a future-expansion HVAC unit which I'm hoping is already
> wired for 220).

Hmmm....  "Data Center" not provisioned for 220vac gear.  Sad.

>    Cripes, the little cape I live in only got hooked up for public sewers
> within the last five years, and you want me putting a 200A panel in?

I'm a bit of a "power monger" -- when we went house shopping I decided I
wouldn't settle for anything less than 100A.  Next time I'll only settle
for 200A or better!  ;-)

> Hell, I
> helped my brother-in-law pull three new circuits to the *kitchen & bath*
> when we bought the place last Fall! (which reminds me: after all the talk
> about computer people and cars, what's the tie-in between computer people
> and house-wiring? Personally, it scares me, but that's 'cause I can get
> in-laws to do it for nothing. Anyone else?)

Hmmmm.... seems I'm always the one helping other people do wiring....

You wouldn't believe the mess of wiring I've been fixing in this 50-year
old house -- and that's after the 200A panel upgrade.  At least there
was no post&tube wriring here, but nothing original has a ground line,
even though someone had installed three-prong plugs everywhere, and only
a very few have grounds actually connected to any kind of real ground.

You ain't seen nothing though until you've had to stick bare wires into
the wall in a hotel in Karachi, Pakistan just to hook up the 120vac
step-down xformer the front desk gave you....  :-)  Here's a picture my
colleague took of the unit we used to warm up his laptop:

	http://www.weird.com/~woods/2001-02-11.karachi-220ac-extension.jpg

--
								Greg A. Woods