[rescue] Sequent info anywhere (on the web)?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Jan 18 13:36:12 CST 2002

[ On Friday, January 18, 2002 at 13:45:14 (-0500), William Enestvedt wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [rescue] Sequent info anywhere (on the web)?
>
>    (Information follows for the archives.) I was moving floor tiles and
> poking at outlets, and it looks like the CPU box runs on regular wall
> current, as does the terminal and the tape drive. The external drive
> cabinet, however, runs under the raised floor to some scary-ass 220 box
> (which is on a separate 30-amp circuit).

Drives, esp. older ones, require LOTS of power.

220vac is a very common household service, even at 30A.

(Most everyone on the grid has at least one of an electric stove,
an electric water heater, an electric clothes dryer, etc., and they all
take 220vac, sometimes up to 40A or so.)

I just recently installed, at home, two 20A 220vac circuits for my new
UPS's.  (the UPS units are 3.1kva each, and though they're only supposed
to draw 16A when charging, the code requires 20A circuits for anything
over 12A continuous, and indeed they came with 20A twist-lock connectors)

I have a 200A service panel, an upgrade done in about 1983 by a former
owner -- many houses in North America still have 100A or even just 60A
service panels though.  My colleage, also with two of these same 3.1Kva
UPS units, but with almost four times as many square feet as our house,
had only 100A, and had to get it upgraded in order to hook up even one
UPS.  :-)

The thing you should really be concerned about is that depending on your
circumstances you may need about as much more current for cooling
purposes, at least at some times of year.  Electronics equipment almost
always turns all of the power it draws into heat.  Even if those drives
only draw 15A at 220vac or so, that's like having a clothes dryer running
full blast all of the time, with the vent directed into your room.

--
								Greg A. Woods