[rescue] FDDI primer

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Thu Jan 17 14:24:25 CST 2002

> So, it's got me wondering... if I wanted to go to a FDDI setup, how
> would I?
>
> Do people have recommendations on stuff?
>
> I figure things like:
>
> What card should I look for for my:
> 	PC (PCI, ISA, PCMCIA??)?

	For PCI & EISA - Dec DEFPA (PCI) or DEFEA (EISA).  FDDI on ISA is
available, but well...it sucks beyond believe. 100mbps down an 8Mhz bus?
Never seen a PCMCIA FDDI board.  The DEFPA and DEFEA are well supported in
all the Free *nix OSes, and MacOS 8&90.

> 	Sbus Sparc?

Any of the crescendo or cisco cards...supported only in solaris.

> 	PCI Sparc?

The Sun Labelled boards or SysKonnect

> 	SGI?

FDDI express boards for the Indigo 2 & Indy...others work in the VME based
machines.  I forget which models, though.

> 	Alpha?

DEFPA for PCI, DEFZA for Turbochannel, DEFEA for EISA.

> What do I need?  Just a FDDI hub?  Cabling?

You'll need a concentrator.  As far as cabling goes, you've got two
options.  FDDI, which is fiber...or CDDI, which is just cat 5.  Same
protocol, just different physical media.

> Just some thoughts, cause running FDDI in my house would be cool, but
> I UNDERSTAND ethernet and can get the stuff easily (and cheaply).  I'd
> hate for my ignorance towards FDDI keep me from using it (I'd rather it
> be the expense =] ).

FDDI's cheap...people are throwing it away to put the new & nifty FastE
and GigE in.