[rescue] FDDI primer

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 17 14:48:46 CST 2002

On January 17, James Sharp wrote:
> > 	Alpha?
>
> DEFPA for PCI, DEFZA for Turbochannel, DEFEA for EISA.

  DEFZAs don't yet have drivers under free Unixes...use DEFTAs for
these.  DEFTAs are also faster.

  And yes, as James said and I forgot to mention...DEFPAs work well in
PCI Macs under MacOS 8 & 9.  I have a DEFPA in my G4 under MacOS-9.
It's just a matter of time before someone (probably Geoff Adams) does
some drivers for MacOS-X.

> > Just some thoughts, cause running FDDI in my house would be cool, but
> > I UNDERSTAND ethernet and can get the stuff easily (and cheaply).  I'd
> > hate for my ignorance towards FDDI keep me from using it (I'd rather it
> > be the expense =] ).
>
> FDDI's cheap...people are throwing it away to put the new & nifty FastE
> and GigE in.

  "New"...heh...almost ten years older, just upclocked!

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire