[rescue] FDDI primer

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jan 17 14:15:16 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:04:38PM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> Today a lot of talk about FDDI versus ethernet and how great FDDI is...
>
> So, it's got me wondering... if I wanted to go to a FDDI setup, how
> would I?
>
> Do people have recommendations on stuff?
>
> I figure things like:
>
> What card should I look for for my:
> 	PC (PCI, ISA, PCMCIA??)?
> 	Sbus Sparc?
> 	PCI Sparc?
> 	SGI?
> 	Alpha?

What OS on the PCs?  If it is other than Linux or NT, it needs to be a DEC
DEFPA board.  Linux will support one or two other brands which generally seem
to be cheaper.  This is where I'm at.  I have a concentrator and one SBUS fddi
card, now I need at least one linux support card and some cabling.  Money and
time have been standing in my way though.  The sbus card won't be used until
I get my SS10 database server.

> What do I need?  Just a FDDI hub?  Cabling?

For FDDI they are called concentrators or switchs usually.  Hubs are stupid,
and FDDI doesn't allow stupid devices.

And of course, you need cabling.

> Just some thoughts, cause running FDDI in my house would be cool, but
> I UNDERSTAND ethernet and can get the stuff easily (and cheaply).  I'd
> hate for my ignorance towards FDDI keep me from using it (I'd rather it
> be the expense =] ).

My intent is to just do FDDI in my office, and leave the rest of the house
ethernet.  But other people can do what they want.

--
Joshua D. Boyd