[rescue] Trannies (was jobops in Austin and Dallas)

Nick Steel. (lists) mrlist at noid.org
Mon Jan 14 21:56:33 CST 2002

> > corner-exit oversteer. NASA has sinced moved the Legends into a
> > different run group populated by 1st gen RX7's, Rabbits and Miata's.
> >

> That still doesn't sound right - wouldn't the "cars" be a little
> underpowered?  Seems to me that the Legends would have much better
> power/weight ratio.  I drove a Rabbit for a friend's team while he was
> injured, and those things are not exactly rocketships.  I could, of
course,
> be wrong.  The rules governing formula-4s were pretty strict...

They weigh quite a bit more than a motorcycle, and have small brakes, and
run on BFG street tires (not a DOT competition tire, but a true street
tire). They aren't that much faster than an Pro-7 or GTI cup car in terms of
lap times.

The reason they were put in that group was really because of the weight and
size difference. I can't imagine a Legends car weighs more than say 1000 -
1200 lbs. A 2400lbs rabbit or RX7 sits a lot lower down than a 3200lbs
Camaro or Mustang, and isn't as likely to do as much damage as one of the
bigger cars would. If I hit one of those Legends, I'd punt him clear into
next week and probably put a little scratch on my fender doing it. Its the
same reason the Spec Racer Fords and cars like that don't run with us, they
are very light and very low. I can't see a SRF car if he's on my passenger
side. I can barely see them in my wing mirror (once the only way I knew
where the guy in the SRF on my passenger door was by seeing where the middle
finger he was giving me was cause I ran him into the dirt on corner-exit,
but that's another story... <grin>). The SRF's turn faster lap times than we
do, but its not a matter of speed difference, its weight and visibility that
are the prime factors being considered.

- N