[rescue] Trannies (was jobops in Austin and Dallas)

kurt at k-huhn.com kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jan 15 07:46:16 CST 2002

>> > corner-exit oversteer. NASA has sinced moved the Legends into a
>> > different run group populated by 1st gen RX7's, Rabbits and Miata's.
>> >

>> That still doesn't sound right - wouldn't the "cars" be a little
>> underpowered?  Seems to me that the Legends would have much better
>> power/weight ratio.  I drove a Rabbit for a friend's team while he was
>> injured, and those things are not exactly rocketships.  I could, of
> course,
>> be wrong.  The rules governing formula-4s were pretty strict...
>
> They weigh quite a bit more than a motorcycle, and have small brakes,
> and run on BFG street tires (not a DOT competition tire, but a true
> street tire). They aren't that much faster than an Pro-7 or GTI cup car
> in terms of lap times.

Ah, okay.  That explains it a little better.  The car I drove in formula 4
was basically a gutted street car - on street tires.  No internal engine
mods, only exhaust and intake mods allowed - and you had to use a muffler
and the stock carburetor/throttle body.  Not a fast car at all.  These
were private track rules before the track got NASCAR sanctioning - and
might not bear any resemblance to sanctioning body rules at all...
I just recall seeing those legends rip around the track at ungodly lap
times and thinking how fun that must be.  The cars in formula-4 (Rabbits,
Daytonas, Escorts, Fiestas, etc) would never had kept up - ever.
The legends never ran with us, not that there was any huge number of them
either.  I only knew of a handful, and mostly they went on race tours -
stopping at all the local tracks for exhibition races on Friday and
Saturday nights.
Kurt