[rescue] Re: Re: Determining the country of orgin for IP address(es)

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Feb 27 22:37:54 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:19:37PM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > Um, you don't have maximum message size restrictions?  Unless you have
> > utterly PHAT pipes, expect a DoS attack, whether intentional or
> > unintentional.
>
> no maximum message size.  they are paying us to do their mail withouth
> restriction, so there is no restriction.

What the customer wants, the customer gets...

> we have HUGE pipes.  obscenely so.  and speaking of DoS attacks, we have one
> customer who DoS attacks themselves, so that should pretty much pain a clear
> picture of who we have to deal with at times. :)

First guess:  NT users?  What do I win?

> (they have their own private MTA cluster, and their poorly configured
> exchange server mass mails thousands of messages every morning and basically
> performs a DoS attack on the MTA cluster.  they have been told about this.
> they won't do anything to fix it.  since they don't affect any other customers
> we don't give a shit. *G*)

Heh.  Tomorrow I meet with a possible customer that wants to switch
from NT to Unix.  He is worried about sending emails, since the
current NT box barfs and locks up whenever 1300 emails are sent at one
time to an opt-in list.

I told him about the time I used an SM51 SS10 running OpenBSD 2.7 +
postfix and sent 20K emails all at once.  Not even a burp :-)

Actually the Windows-based email merge sw they were using could only
send in batches of 500 or so before crashing.  Oops.  Poor NT admin
had to sit at a desk in the NOC for 8 hours clicking away, sending
23,000 emails in batches of 500.

Meanwhile I was logged in via SSH from home and ran a perl script that
generated a lovely stats report from the maillog.  Took about 30
minutes to set up the way I wanted, then 5 minutes to run.

Unix is good.

./patrick