[rescue] Re: Re: Determining the country of orgin for IP address(es)

ssandau at bath.tmac.com ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Wed Feb 27 22:04:58 CST 2002

> > We had a manager/director/vp or something today cut and paste a web page
> > (moderately clean html) into a Word 2000 doc file and send it out to the
> > entire company, half of whom are on Linux or Solaris and don't have Office
> > 2000 installed on those OSes. Gotta love the economy of resources where a
> > big attachment half the people can't use is preferred to a 60-byte url
> > that everyone can use.
>
> I fought that battle tonight and lost.
>
> Problem:  Cutting cost on a publication.
>
> Solution: Make it available electronically.
>   subset of solution:  Turn it into a word document & email it to
> everyone.
>
> Document is often 8-10mb in size due to formatting & images.  Mailing list
> is 100+ people.  85-90% of the recipients are on dialup 28.8-33.6 dialup.
>
> Result:  James's head explodes. *BLAM*

Yeah. I work for a "technology company" to whom that means mail
everything (even simple
documents) out as MS Office documents. Technology == over-complicated.
Incorrect. I don't even like getting html email. I think it's a stupid
bloat--a waste of bandwidth. Sending an MS Word document for a simple
announcement is the same thing. The document may include revisions and
such that aren't even visible in the final document. And our folks in DC
wonder why we don't want to use the same email server they use--on the
other end of a T1 line from us!

I *really* dislike MS Office. Mostly because it encourages unnecessary
use.

And I do agree that database files like the one on IPs should be in a
universal format. If you want something to be as useful as possible, you
make it as accessible as possible. Unfortunately, many people think that
putting things in Excel or Word is doing that. I guess we need to do a
little educating. I'll continue trying, how about you folks??

Done ranting...

--
Steve Sandau, IS Technician
ssandau at bath.tmac.com