[rescue] Re: Re: Determining the country of orgin for IP address(es)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Wed Feb 27 22:19:37 CST 2002

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:17:01PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> > every once in a while a message gets stuck in our MTA cause it can't run the
> > virus checking software on it.  i go in and look at them.  Rich Text
> > attatchments.  the record so far is 95MB.  all the reciepients (about 5000
> > people) are ALL on dialup.  the sender isn't though, so it never occurs to
> > him the pain he is inflicting on these poor people.
>
> Um, you don't have maximum message size restrictions?  Unless you have
> utterly PHAT pipes, expect a DoS attack, whether intentional or
> unintentional.

no maximum message size.  they are paying us to do their mail withouth
restriction, so there is no restriction.

we have HUGE pipes.  obscenely so.  and speaking of DoS attacks, we have one
customer who DoS attacks themselves, so that should pretty much pain a clear
picture of who we have to deal with at times. :)

(they have their own private MTA cluster, and their poorly configured
exchange server mass mails thousands of messages every morning and basically
performs a DoS attack on the MTA cluster.  they have been told about this.
they won't do anything to fix it.  since they don't affect any other customers
we don't give a shit. *G*)

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)