[rescue] Re: Re: Determining the country of orgin for IP address(es)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Feb 27 22:32:10 CST 2002

> every once in a while a message gets stuck in our MTA cause it can't run
the
> virus checking software on it.  i go in and look at them.  Rich Text
> attatchments.  the record so far is 95MB.  all the reciepients (about 5000
> people) are ALL on dialup.  the sender isn't though, so it never occurs to
> him the pain he is inflicting on these poor people.

I guess I just can't say it enough - SMTP IS NOT A FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL!!
To the chagrin of many a DefendNet manager I once set the inbound
attachement limit to 5MB at the Sendmail and virus scanning gateways
(internal mail server was Exchange).  When asked, by the CEO, why - I
muttered something about security exploits with large files, word docs,
economies of scale, the last word macro that got through, the fact that
we're (er, were) a security company, yadda yadda yadda...  I didn't hear
anything about it afterwards...

Kurt